We are delighted to announce our expanded relationship with Univar to cover the PELL™ brand of innovative raising agents, including sodium reduction solutions. The exclusive agreement spans all countries in Europe.
Key details from the press release as follows:
“Kudos Blends is a market-leading developer and producer of baking powders, specialising in potassium-based, sodium-free alternatives for an extensive variety of food applications,” said Gary Abraham, commercial manager for Univar Food Ingredients in EMEA. “Kudos’ high-quality ingredients allow our customers to achieve appropriate rise and finish in the process of baking doughnuts, crumpets, cakes and more. Their portfolio, offered exclusively by Univar, contains a variety of single- and double-acting baking powders that vary in speed of release for the precise desired effect during the baking process. In addition, many of the ingredients are potassium-based, thereby reducing sodium in our customers’ end products, which is an important consumer-driven trend in the European market.”
Kudos, which is near Kidderminster, UK, was recognized with the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the International Trade Category in 2016. The Queen’s Award for Enterprise recognizes a company for its role within the local community, environmental impact and the quality of its relationships with suppliers, partners, employees and customers.
“The relationship with Univar is key to our strategy for an ambitious growth plan to further develop our international sales,” added Dinnie Jordan, Managing Director for Kudos Blends. “We have been working with Univar in the UK now for some time and they have proven to be the perfect distribution partner to assist us with developing overseas sales.”
In response to the news, we spoke to Food Navigator, answering their questions about our relationship, future trends and how the Kudos portfolio of products is evolving to meet changing consumer needs.
Firstly, are you able to comment on how the partnership builds on what is already offered to customers and food manufacturers? What can they expect as a result of this new agreement?
- Both Kudos and Univar have been active in the food ingredients market in the UK and Europe for many years.
- The combination of our two companies will allow an enhanced proposition to existing and new customers, particularly in continental Europe, based on Univar’s geographical spread and knowledge of the food ingredients market.
- The addition of the Kudos PELL™ range to Univar’s offering will bring benefit to Kudos, Univar and especially to end customers in continental Europe.
With this agreement, are you able to tap into any trends that you’re noticing in the food sector? How is Kudos Blends taking the lead in setting the agenda and deciding what the public should be eating?
- Kudos has for many years provided thought leadership in the area of reduced sodium within the bakery sector.
- This has involved engagement through presentations, literature and dialogue with research houses, government institutions as well as industry bodies around the world.
- Bakery customers, from small independents to large multinationals, look to Kudos to understand how they can best respond to consumer trends towards healthier eating.
The deal looks to provide sodium reduction solutions to foods. Are you finding customers and food manufacturers are more demanding nowadays not only in low-salt products but also low sugar and fat?
- Consumers are becoming more health conscious and aware of how foods are made and what they contain
- Many consumers are actively looking reduce sodium in their diets to help to lower their blood pressure
- This puts more pressure on manufacturers and retailers to offer healthier choices to consumers
- The industry is faced with a target to reduce the sugar content of baked goods by 20% by 2020 – we are launching an exciting new range of leavening agents in early 2018 which will make sugar reduction in baked goods considerably easier
Finally, are you finding certain trends to dominate in certain European regions? How are your business practices catering to this need?
- Salt, sugar and fat reduction are key to a number of European countries as well as the drive towards ‘cleaner label’
- Univar is able to offer a range of PELL™ baking powders to suit varying applications and bakery needs
- The PELL™ K baking powders are potassium based, low sodium baking powders for those manufacturers wanting to offer healthier choices
- There is also a gluten free baking powder suitable for bakery products specifically for those with celiac disease, or those who prefer a gluten free diet.
Read the story on Food Navigator here.